Saturday, June 19, 2010

Clincals!! Ah!

We are done with the class and starting to do clinical's, where we go to an assisted living home and cling on to other nurses as they tell us what to do. Our first one was two Wednesday's ago, and my mom and I offered to do the Alzheimer's unit.

Bad Idea.

Well, it wasn't really. It was definitely a learning experience. We fed them, which was alright, and then we had to get them ready for bed. That part was hard. One of us would hold them up while the other cleaned them after they went to the bathroom, and we had to change them and brush their teeth. Then we had to lift them into bed. Doing this for every single person took 2 hours! I was so exhausted. It was hard, but kinda cool at the same time. It is definitely better learning on hand then sitting in a classroom.

But the place was so dirty! Like, i don't know, i just think it could have been kept up better. And i was so exhausted, and it is kinda depressing when you can't talk to the people that you are helping. You never know what they want, and you dont know how to best help them. They probably don't know what they want either.

So then this last Wednesday, i went to do my second clinical, and i wasn't all that excited. I knew that i was going to get frustrated again, and i was honestly thinking "What am i doing? Can i really do this job?". So we went, and the place was actually really nice. And i got assigned to a nice CNA, who kinda gave me a job and then ditched me, so i was like "Ok?". So i fed a lady her dinner, which was nice because she told me what she wanted and i gave it to her, and we talked about her grandsons. And then we started getting people ready for bed, and it was really nice because we were talking to them and they could tell us what they wanted. This one woman who is mentally handicapped and in a wheelchair was SOOO sweet, and she would race us down the hallway, and ask for a drink or her remotes, and she would always say "Thank you". I loved her.

There was another woman who was SO funny! We were getting her undressed, and when she was in her nightgown, she was like "Well aren't i sexy?". Haha, it made me laugh.

So, that night basically raised my spirits back up. I was really down about my first night, but i felt so much better after that place. I loved that i could talk to the people and converse with them. And i also really loved the place, it was very well kept and it felt like a home. And its close to BYU, so if i live in the dorms it is a place to consider to work. Maybe?

Anyways, i LOVE being out in the field and actually doing it instead of sitting in a classroom! Its so neat, and i feel like a real nurse! A lot of people are like "Man, i couldn't do that job. I don't know how you can change and feed people" but it is seriously the most humbling thing ever, and i love it so much. I never thought i would, but it is definitely one of the coolest things!

1 comment:

  1. Oh Wow.. you have been so busy! I miss you! We need to visit again. I'm so excited for your graduation this week!

    It was cool to read about what you're doing with the CNA stuff!! I can't believe you're already done with class. That went fast. It almost made me cry to think about all the stuff you have to do for those elderly people. That would be so hard to see on a regular basis I think. But They need special people like you and your mom to take care of them!

    Well.. hopefully we'll see you soon and good luck this week!

    Loves! H

    ReplyDelete